Thursday, July 16, 2009

Creating a Mood




Sweet Music.


I consider music a vital part of my life and I'm sure most of you do as well. I can't imagine a life without it as I've been intertwined with it for the last 20 or so years of my life. I know that picking up my guitar or mandolin can have great calming effects on me and how I deal with stress. Music can actually help to secret endorphins in your brain that make you heal quicker as well. Here's a great article that supports this: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/effects-of-music-on-the-mind-and-brain.html

He who sings scares away his woes. ~Cervantes

I also find that music is a great social ice breaker. When you meet up with friends and they play an instrument also, it's a great way to find an immediate bond. Especially when you find a common musical thread. Friends can meet to see a band that they all like together. It can be a social glue that brings a group together.

I like to think of music as my happy place that I go when life gets to be stressful or overbearing. I find my music that inspires me and create my musical bubble that makes me happy. I also love to help others get in to music. I used to teach guitar lessons regularly and I miss that feeling of seeing someone "get it" and begin to find their musical muse.

The reason I bring all this up is because I'm beginning to get back in to a musical realm again within a band setting. I don't want to discount the playing that I frequently do with my very good friends as well, which provides an awesome musical outlet too. We have this cool, folksy vibe that we revel in and I look forward to growing that musical side as well.

I'm getting together with friends to jam next week (drums, bass, guitar, singer setup) and am really looking forward to it. I began playing in bands in high school and really included that as a part of my life. Music has shaped how I think and become inspired. I can't wait to be immersed in this environment again and welcome the journey that's a part of it. Music and performing do wonderful things for self image, personal growth, inner peace, and life inspiration. It can give you a renewed sense of purpose and reconnect you to the passions that you have taken for granted.

I hope that everyone finds their musical happy place and you explore your musical muses. Have a great Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment