Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Give a Little Bit

What is it about giving that makes us so happy as humans? I find that every time I give something, I get so much in return emotionally. I'm sure everyone can relate to this sentiment. For example, lately we've had a surplus of produce from the garden and I'm finding great joy in taking things to work and surprising people with something that they enjoy. Cucumbers, a tomato or two, etc. It's fun and a cheap way to give gifts. Let me just preface this by saying that I live with someone that loves to gift give and surprise all of her friends/companion with gifts to enrich their lives. Evelyn is a very giving person and an inspiration in that department for me. She gets it honestly as her parents are the same way as my family is too for that matter.

I was also reading today about experiences and how spending your money on experiences seems to have a much longer effect on you than the money spent on material possessions. Do you find that your life is more enriched by experience as opposed to things? I happen to truly find joy and happiness in traveling, which falls in to the category of experience, which I feel leaves a lasting impression and ultimately changes us in who we are for the long haul. We react differently to people, come back with more tolerance, and maybe are a bit more outgoing than we were previous to a traveling experience. I feel that these life lessons are good little steps in simplifying my life and making a more meaningful existence. The article that inspired these thoughts can be found here and I encourage everyone to read it if you can find the time: http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2009/07/28/do-experiences-lead-to-greater-happiness-than-material-purchases/

On a side note, I'm finding that I enjoy my job a lot more when I work with first time home-buyers. They seem to really grasp the innate joy of homeownership and the freedom that comes with it. That almost childlike energy is contagious and I'm really growing to love these experiences.

I hope everyone has a great mid-week!


No comments:

Post a Comment