Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Hello From Planet Indiana

So....this is my first attempt at blogging, but I have been writing more and more lately, so this is a natural progression me thinks.

What this blog is about: Everything in my life that is geared toward enjoyment and creation of a more rewarding and "simple" lifestyle. I enjoy the finer things in life, but only if they don't create detrimental by-products that harm others, hurt others, etc.

My life has been pretty complicated up to now (and still is really), but since I've finished up my college degree I've found that I have some time to do things that I want to do, read books I want to read, and generally indulge in things that I haven't had time for in a while. Mainly playing my guitar more, listening to more music, reading books, and writing. I'm reading a couple books right now as a matter of fact. One is "Marco Polo Didn't Go There" by Rolf Potts (the author of the Vagabonding, which changed my whole perspective on travel and long term travel in general). I also just started an awesome book called "The Sex Lives of Cannibals" written by J. Maarten Troost. This book is fantastic so far. I really love travel writers and these two are some of the finest. I've read books by these authors before and wanted to get more of their ideas and thoughts, thus the interest in these....

Simplifying our produce selection: Evelyn and I have been harvesting out of our garden in the back yard lately as well. We've decided to grow organically and we're grateful for the results. I'll admit, I thought that she was getting crazy with the amount of plants that we have accumulated but I'm thankful now. I love, I mean love, the home grown tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and herbs that we've been able to enjoy. We have egg plant on the way, zuchini coming, and lots of others as well. This has saved money, made our life a bit more connected to the ground, and made us more concientious of what we put in our bodies. All good stuff...

So I really love island music. Lately I've been listening to a ridiculous amount of reggae music, surf music, Jack Johnson, and other such island or tropical music types. It puts me in a great frame of mind and reminds me that I can live in the Caribbean in my head. This helps me keep a good perspective on life's pressures as well. Running a business with rental properties and being a mortgage banker in today's economic climate can be a bit stressful and happy music seems to help me transcend this.

This weekend we spent time on the lakes up in northern Indiana and also went on a canoeing/kayaking trip on the Pigeon River as well. I remembered why I love kayaking and being in nature again. That place is beautiful and I totally took it for granted growing up around there. You don't realize how beautiful a place is until you have perspective. Living in a city for the last 11 years has given me a different view daily. It's nice to step away from that and see the other side from time to time. I still like the options that a city provides though.

That's it for now..... Stay tuned and let me know if something strikes your fancy...

No comments:

Post a Comment