Thursday, July 9, 2009

Riding My Bike to Work


Well, I rode my bike to work on Tuesday and was going to do so again today (Thursday), but rain prevailed and I don't like being soaked when I get to work. My goal for myself is to ride at least 2 days a week, if not more if my schedule allows it. I figured up the distance from my home to my office and it's officially 9.32 miles one way by the route that I take. I like to ride most of the distance on the Monon Greenway Trail (http://www.indygreenways.org/monon/monon.htm). It's peaceful and there's minimal traffic to contend with until I get to 86th St., which is a different story altogether. My reasons for riding are twofold: 1) to be more healthy and feel good at work and at the end of the day when I ride home and 2) to be a bit more green and save some gas. I figure that it saves me roughly a little over a gallon of gas (pending that I don't go anywhere once I get to work and no side trips) from my home to work and back. That's only about $2.50-3 or so per trip, but added up it will be good. This doesn't really account for the stop and go traffic which eats up your gas mileage too, so that's something I probably should consider as well.
All in all, I just prefer the lack of traffic jams, hurried people in their cars, and stop lights every corner to riding peacefully on a path intended for bikes and people. A great alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment