Sunday, July 19, 2009

Optimism on a Grand Scale


Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces,
I would still plant my apple tree.
Martin Luther
I hope that everyone had a great weekend. I know I did. Had a great birthday party with friends and also had a great outdoor field day in which our friends competed in different outdoor events, including: kickball, soccer kicking courses, relay races, etc. The fun was really in hanging out with friends that are fun and make life happier and more uplifting.

On that note, I've found a great TV show that really inspires me. I don't like watching TV unless I can get something out of it, and this show is awesome. The Adventures of the Incurable Optimist (http://abc.go.com/specials/michaeljfox/index) is a wonderful show in which Michael J. Fox travels around the country and the world to exploit optimistic groups and individual people. Just hearing Michael J. Fox's outlook in inspiring to say the least given that he has Parkinson's Disease (more reading available here if you're not familiar with Parkinson's: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/parkinsons_disease/parkinsons_disease.htm). He talks about people that have a natural inclination toward being optimistic and different aspects of a society that create the optimism. I found it very inspiring and hope you will too. I found it on the cable station TLC (http://tlc.discovery.com/) and you can check the site for the channel schedule to watch it in your area if interested.

I always find inspiration in people that seem to overcome struggle by being unwaveringly positive. It's so easy to become jaded in this world by challenges and then some comes along that really puts you to shame in regard to the level of challenge that you face. Life isn't a competition and it really helps to have perspective when seeing others' challenges and how your diminish in size and scope.

Have a great week everyone! I hope you make it a great one.

No comments:

Post a Comment