Thursday, September 24, 2009

I Just Run


Hey all! Happy Thursday to you. I hope this day finds you well in mind and spirit.

As a runner, I have a mantra that I use while in my "zone." I tell myself that the pain of running for 30 minutes is only a small portion of my day (when the pain gets bad anyway, otherwise I just think about my day and what's going to happen) and it will be worth it after I'm done. This "mantra" can be applied other places in life as well though. When having to go to meetings that waste your time, or going to activities that you don't really want to do, just think: it's only 30 minutes of my day and it will pass on just like the previous 30 minutes. Running is something that I enjoy quite a bit (weird, I know) because it's my meditation time and my reflection time. I get my blood flowing, my brain thinking, and my body in motion to get through the day. It's good for me in my body and mind. Cycling is similar as well. I connect with that sport nearly the same way as running, but the aspect that I like best about running is that it's simple and pure. You only need your running clothes (for whatever season or place) and your running shoes. There are things that you can add (like an mp3 player, or sweat bands) but their not necessary to running. This simplicity goes right in line with my philosophy of un-complicating life.

An awesome tool that I find handy when running is here at WalkJogRun. You can map out your routes and figure out how far you are running anywhere. Pretty awesome.

Just like all the successful people in this world tell us, anything worth attaining is worth working hard for. I've definitely found this to be true, of course, but I think you really get it the older you get. The closer I get to 30 (next month), I understand that life's got some serious challenges and speed bumps but nothing is really too difficult if you surround yourself with the right people and the right attitude. Would you agree?

Do you have an activity that you do that puts you in your mantra? What challenges you and inspires you?

Have a great rest of your week!


No comments:

Post a Comment