Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Backyard Abundance


Hey everyone,

As of lately, we've had an incredible abundance of fruits and vegetables from our backyard garden. I've talked about the garden in the past, but wanted to touch on it again because of the pure joy that I get from seeing the 8 or 9 organic, tasty tomatoes on my counter each day. Evelyn is awesome at finding recipes (and just generally making some up) to use up our rapid abundance of produce. August is unquestionably the month in Indiana where the combination of the rain and sun make gardens very fruitful.

We've been harvesting tomatoes, green and red peppers, yellow peppers, eggplant, cucumbers in rampant numbers, cherry tomatoes, watermelon and cantaloupe (a week away), green onion, bulb onion, mint, peppermint, cilantro, basil, lavender, and jalapenos. Lately it's been pico de gallo, ceviche, roasted tomato salsa, grilled eggplant and squash, breaded eggplant and squash (from a friend), zucchini bread (from a friend that gave us some zucchini), and various other concoctions. There's nothing better to me than homemade zucchini bread and some fresh salsa in the fridge for eating. I have been spoiled and had both over the last week (thanks do doubt to my tireless and experimental cook of a girlfriend Evelyn).

My point in all this talk is going back to simplicity. I started this blog to make me accountable for a simpler life since work, self-employment, career, and school had been getting in the way of life for a long time. I'm making priorities for my life and realizing that it's way too short to complicate it any more.

Having a back yard garden is one extension of this change and the ultimate change in thinking/philosophy. The garden grows with work and toil, however, there are large time lapses where it needs to be left alone to be rained on or watered, and then drenched in sun. Our lives are not so different. We require some tending to, but not too much to make us wither away. We need some simplicity to keep going and thriving.

Keep on fighting your fight!

No comments:

Post a Comment