Sunday, August 9, 2009

Music and Social Past Times


I spent my Sunday today doing what I love to do; tending to the garden, playing music, relaxing, and watching music documentaries on my laptop. Sounds funny but I have discovered so much cool stuff on Hulu that is free and very accessible. I am literally considering cutting the cable in our house in favor of Hulu because a) cable is the biggest rip off ever and b) there is just as much cool stuff on Hulu and c) I don't follow any shows religiously, so what's the big deal if I have to watch them a week or two after they've aired?

Or, in the case of the "Buena Vista Social Club," I watch the musical documentary and became inspired and rejuvenated musically again, and for free. I have seen this documentary in the past, but I love to venture back to great musical performances for inspiration and a bit of enlightenment when needed. These guys do it. Here's a video clip of them if you'd like to check them out as well: The Song Chan Chan. The sad thing is, most of the guys in this movie are now deceased, but Ry Cooder saw it fit to record them and keep the candle alive. The spirit and energy in this documentary are awesome. I found myself at times thinking about my own social "club" that our friends have with our music. We have found our little niche and occasionally have people that jump in our musical group that bring new flavors. Last night at our get-together at our house we had that happen. It's always fun to play music with new people and experience that new energy again. Can't wait to do it again.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

~Berthold Auerbach

Any great music or social environs that have inspired you lately?

Hope all is well and you have a great new week!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment