Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Value of Ditching Monotony


All seasons are beautiful for the person who carries happiness within.

-Horace Friess

Hello everyone.

I spent my Saturday today kayaking on the White River north of Indianapolis, ending up down the road from our house. All in all, it was between 15-20 miles that I traveled. It doesn't seem like that far, but when you're paddling the whole time, it sure is. It was a gorgeous day today for being on the river as well. I saw a lot of wildlife and really got the essence of slowing down in to my system.

This activity made me thing about the fact that we as humans have to take a break from our routines and responsibilities to cut the monotony from time to time. That's essentially what makes the weekend the weekend, but doing something different and out of the norm really makes life more colorful. The clarity that I get from being in nature by myself is unrivaled. I find time to think and relax, breathe and take everything in. It helps me gather my thoughts and ideas, as well as plan for the future, surprisingly.

The cool thing about this kayak trip is that it's free, well, not including the gas to and from the drop off and pick up, or the peanut butter and honey sandwiches that I took with me. We already had the ingredients and the gas, so I didn't really include those. My point being, it was an inexpensive day with great enjoyment gained. What's that cliche old saying, "The Best Things in Life are Free." Definite truth in that.

Have a wonderful Saturday and I hope you break the monotony as well!

Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment