Sunday, August 2, 2009

Exploring Your Backyard

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mohandas K. Gandhi


I had a great weekend traveling around my old stomping grounds in Northeastern Indiana and even played golf at a place that I used to play in high school. Had some trips down memory lane but most of all I had a reawakening of inspiration. The reason for the trip is because an old friend from back in LaGrange that I played baseball with and went to school with has a disease that is challenging him. The golf outing was a charity event to help him and his family out. The hope and tenacity that he has is incredible.

It seems lately that I've been in the path of some pretty incredible people and events that shape how I'm thinking. I'm constantly reminded of how fortunate we are to have the people we have in this short span that we live here.

The drive home today got me thinking about exploring places that are close to home as well. With the economy the way it is, it's trendy to do "stay-cations" and one tank get aways. Driving around Indiana can be pretty cool. I tend to get caught up in saving to travel around the world, but there are some awesome places to explore in Indiana and your own proverbial backyard. I enjoy kayaking and saw some really cool places that I could have kayaked this weekend. Lakes, the Wabash River, ponds, wetlands, etc. Lots of places that would have been really cool to explore. I can't wait to take some free time this fall (yeah, that's easy to say right) and go check these places out.

I hope everyone had a great weekend and enjoy your Monday. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment